Tomorrow has come, Today

Monday, April 28, 2008

A Wrong, Right Reason?

Overheard in the bus: - “Oh he’s just doing that to get noticed! Talk about doing the right thing for the wrong reasons!”

(This wasn’t a particularly intriguing conversation but I was clutching at straws here. My book was getting boring and it was a dull rainy day out.)

A bit more eavesdropping and I pieced things together. Apparently the subject of slander wasn’t getting a rave review for being a do-gooder. But it definitely got me thinking …

So what if there is a selfish* reason behind doing something nice? Who cares! Isn’t doing the right thing what’s important anyway? Or is it more complicated now? And I say talk about it all you like- maybe someone else will be motivated to do something nice as well! And how bad can that be? Think of it like a free ad-campaign! But don’t start equating efforts, that’s what makes a good effort go awry.

*Some people say that every action has a selfish motivation behind it. I don’t think I fully subscribe to that idea. It can be just about giving back …

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home