Tomorrow has come, Today

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Feeding my passion

I’m often asked where my passion lies. Having just been through several technical interviews for a new job, I didn’t think this is the time to admit that food is one of the many! After all, who wants an employee who’s at the snack bar from 9 to 5.

From when I can remember, I’ve been helping out and very soon cooking on my own. As early as 4 years old I think. The smells, the textures and did I mention the smells! They are as important to me as eating. In fact, I’ve noticed that when I spend a considerable amount of time cooking- I end up eating lesser. (Hmm idea for a diet book in the offing …) And I always have my entree on the plate untouched for a (much) longer time than H would. (I added the ‘much’ since he inhales his meals! The reason being; his sister always ate more than her fair share.)

When I try different cuisines, I’m always fascinated by the unseen melding of cultures. If you’ve ever tried Cuban ‘dirty’ rice AND you hail from South India, you know what I mean! The obvious relations between other cuisines are equally interesting. Not having had a staunch interest in History, I get to learn things the other way around! For e.g.; Ah, the flavors in this are really Arabic, was this country ever under an Islamic reign? And so it goes …

I’ve met a lot of people who are pretty picky about the “authenticity” of a cuisine. Many Seattle-lites tend to boycott restaurants that create “Americanized” dishes. But isn’t this just another gastronomic marriage? And it could beget another *Tikka Masala

*Tikka Masala wasnt really Indian ...

3 Comments:

  • looks like i read this hot of the presses! nice one, you should write more about food. i expected this one to go on and on.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 1:35 PM  

  • this reminds me; can i have the recipe for that DIVINE falafel meal you made? :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 3:31 PM  

  • I loved the 101cookbook link you have up here. Such creative and simple dishes. Have you tried many?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home